
I spent the entire morning downloading and saving Facebook photos and messages.
I remembered times when getting home after a party wasn't as easy as one would assume, I remembered why I didn't have a lot of photos from a particularly amazing birthday (a good friend sadly lost her camera), how I accidentally (!!) set a friend's hair on fire. I remembered good days, bad days, fun trips and important life moments, be that graduation or the moment I bought my first pair of designer shoes.
I remembered why I started my Facebook account, to share photo with real-life friends, and now, I was thinking about why I'm closing it. The reasons are numerous, and I'm sure they've crossed everyone's mind at one point or another, yet to sum them up I would say Facebook has become a sort of "too much time spent on too little in return" activity.
It is true that, as one friend said when I announced that I will be terminating my account, Facebook has the ability to create groups and is a great networking platform. Thus I will not get into details such as do you feel that your profile is secure enough, do you mind that they share and most probably sell your info to other companies, etc, because the number of advantages over disadvantages, and vice-versa is surely different for each person. And because I cannot ignore some of the advantages I have kept my blog page, and decided to minimise Facebook time and privacy sharing by closing my personal Facebook account.
What I found utterly interesting, especially if we talk about mass-manipulation, were the reactions that I got after announcing my decision. Some said goodbye as if I was leaving the country, or at least the town. Some said, of course, why, and that they will miss me, again, as if I were leaving for good, or worst, dying. And even those that congratulated me on the initiative then called to check if I meant it. Yet social platforms have come and gone I wonder if Facebook is going to be any different. Do you really think that leaving Facebook particularly is social suicide? Has the importance of Facebook presence overcome that our real life presence? Do you really think that there will come a time in the distant future when, if Karl Lagerfeld would delete his Facebook page, people will be asking Karl Who?









Stefanel Shirt, sequined by Me
Marc Jacobs Skirt
Modamania Necklace
H&M Fashion Against AIDS Clutch
Zara Pumps
American Apparel Tights
OPI Nailpolish - Texas Collection, Shade Y'all Come Back Ya Hear?


52 comments:
Lovely skirt!
♥
I really love the way you've put your outfit and accessories together! I really wanted that clutch, but they had sold out!
Facebook, hmm! Nu am cont si nici nu simt ca sunt rupta de lume desi toti prietenii ma bat la cap sa imi fac cont!
Am incercat sa fac un profil pentru blog dar ma enerva rau asa ca l-am inchis! Acum ma enerveaza si mai rau ca nu il pot sterge definitiv! Ce prostie! In fine....
Imi plac pozele tale si ma bucur ca nu sunt singura care si-a cumparat oja "Y'all come back ya hear?"! Iti vine foarte bine! :D
Pantofii m-au dat gata! Sunt superbi! :)
you look amazing :) x
Ioana eu ma bucur si sper ca nu cumva sa te opresti din bloggerit,deoarece pentru mine de cand te-am descoperit esti o sursa de energie pozitiva cum rar mai gasesc pe internet:)pe blogul tau am descoperit un talent care se vrea impartasit si cu altii...am mai gasit o "moda" de bun gust si multtt romanticism...te pupacesc si iti doresc o zi minunata!
You have to do what is best for you, Ioana, and The people who like you will make sure to keep in touch.
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
FB is ok as long as you don't overstate it's importance...some people live and breath on the social network, which is sad...I keep it to interact with friends and share some pics....and very important to keep track of birthdays :)the time invested is under control I would say :)
Love the skirt and the DIY shirt <3
Finally found a partner in crime when it comes to white tights, I see them so rarely worn and it's sad cause I totally adore them and they are a great accesory, if you know how to work with them!
xoxo,
meelusha
I totally understand what you mean... but again I have to admit that I'm addicted to it too...
I love the look! Very brilliantly colored skirt. Photos are taken very well. It emits this colorful "Alice in Wonderland" kind of vibe. Love them;)
Poison
fashionispassionbypoison.blogspot.com
and as you promised, here you are posting more often! :*
Loving the colors and the white just makes the colors more bold. Cool clutch as well. Re: Facebook; I've noticed that since I've started blogging, I've kinda neglected my page but for me, it's been a vehicle for reuniting with alot of long lost old friends and for that reason alone, I will hold on to my account. :)
www.plentyforpennies.com
For me Facebook is just a way to promote my accessories and two blogs, it’s not that personal and I don't invest that much time in it so it's ok but I can see what you mean! I think the Facebook fever will fade away pretty soon, it's just the way these things work, just look at MySpace (I remember it was all the rage a couple of years ago when I was in the USA). I love what you did with the shirt and the shoes are beautiful.
As a matter of fact, I'm thinking about closing my facebook account too. It doesn't have any real use for me and the disadvantages and viruses get on my nerves. Seriously, what's email and the telephone for or meeting personally.
amazing post!incredible!!!Love the necklace!!!
Kisses!!!
www.cailinplace.blogspot.com
Wonderful photos and outfit dear! I love every single piece. I hope to buy the H&M against Aids clutch really soon, do you know if is still available?
I think I will delete my Facebook account too but I don`t know when I`ll be 100% prepared for doing this step :D I want to get out of this anyway!
I admit to being kind of an Facebook addict, but I couldn't delete my profile. There're just too many people I don't get to see a lot in real life and I like keeping track of them.
And yet again I find myself drooling over your pictures! all this perfection and the popping colors!! I want to buy that clutch too, hope I'm lucky enough to find it.
And btw, my shirt dress from Zara is from last year. It was a real bargain back than.
well, even if your did leave FB, you've still got your blog. leaving the blog would be way worse than leaving FB. so it's all good.
you look fabulous! love that clutch!
Facebook, My Space, Hi5...they are mostly all the same, each one on a different wave, it's exhausting indeed, to spend so much time on the computer, I can barely keep up with blogging. It's not much of a inconvinience to me,but it's not like I would die if Facebook weren't in my life. Anyway, you do what you think it's right and that's that. Love this look and I love the shoes , and how they go with those amazing tights! :D Great work with the shirt ;)
ur hipnotazing, u know that?!
xx
omg that skirt is such a beautiful bright color!
<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons
So pretty! Everything works perfectly together!
xx
Hot Pink Day
Shop Blue Vanilla
Lovely outfit :) The colors are pretty and i got the same clutch which is really an spicy piece for every outfit! Well done
ce-mi place toata infuzia asta de culoare! ma bine dispune! imi place la nebunie outfitul si colierul acela superb! cat despre facebook cred ca ai facut un lucru bun, cateodata e addictive si iti mananca prea mult timp degeaba. Eu incerc sa nu petrec mai mult de 2 ore pe zi la calculator :))
love
ANNA
Wow amazing outfit and pictures!!
Arati ca din poveste! Fusta este atat de superba, ce culori ce model!!
http://de-vero.blogspot.com
Oh, I particularly LOVE this outfit!!
Unfortunately, Facebook is more a waste of time than it is a gain. I admire your decision to quit this addiction!
brilliant shoes, doll!
I deleted my myspace a long time ago and haven't missed it once, I'm thinking of getting rid of fb too. Twitter, blogging and my fb fan page are way more rewarding.
<3
First of all, love the outfit <3
Second, I think Facebook is , as annoying as it can seem,crucial , atleast in high-school. And I'm not proud of having to use FB all the time ... Though it has some advantages , as you were saying.
alexandra @
shoependant.blogspot.com
I found some of my ex colleagues on Facebook.Although many people are obsessed with it, I hate it.I just use my account to see pictures of people I know but that`s all.
Anyway,nice outfit.I like the colours!So bold!
i am an instant fan because you are wearing my favorite designer, I have never bought that skirt (or jacket) actually and I still regret it. it looks perfect with a simple tee, love love love the necklace and the clutch. The clutch is not an obvious choice but that is what makes it interesting. love your impeccable snow white skin, you look so chique and edgy girl
I think people can still talk,write or get in touch even if you don't have a fb account.
denise
I've been thinking about it too...not so much due to the time spent, but more because of the lack of privacy.
on the fb subject-i've already told u my opinion so i wont repeat myself.
on the outfit subject- i really like the shoes.... tried them on at zara too of course i dont know why i bothered because they never make shoes in my size at zara but i thought i could play a bit. they are very pretty because of their colour. i'm obsessed with orange/coral this season.
anyways i'll keep in touch with u through the blog now i guess.
xoxo
mina
gorgeous photos and beautiful story! You are so beautiful, love your red hair! I've always wanted to be a red head :)
u`re beautiful
every photo is so captivating! just beautiful
xx
www.dineinstilettos.blogspot.com
You look so beautiful! I love your amazing hair and wonderful eye makeup! I wish I had a more steady hand so I could do it too!
x
www.lostinthehaze.com
Karl is not (nor it will be) subject to Facebook-social platforms presence, while some people are. It depends on the value.
Fantastic.. I can't say another thing. Love everything from that outfit! :D
xx
have a nice weekend :D
www.sickbytrend.com
facebook comes and goes, those who really appreciate your work will be here on your blog nevertheless!
love the outfit! :**
I really like your side pin up, and your hair color ... wow! Your banner is now very well! xxx Have a good day
Love the outfit!
Awesome heels :_
x.
love, love, love the pops of color in your adorable outfit!
www.benchesandchandeliers.com
love your hair
this is such a gorgeous look!! i love your shoes :)
katslovefashion.blogspot.com
Love love love it! The bright colors are so amazing :)
http://sunnym00n.blogspot.com/2011/03/rox-apartment-part-ii.html#comments
Love the skirt and couldn't agree more about Facebook and social networking in general. It's like how did we manage before all of this technology and just because you decide to opt out doesn't make you a weirdo!
WOW!! ... you left me speechless...! You rock !!!!!!
i love the bright colors against the white base. great necklace.
rockoomph.blogspot.com
YOu´re gorgeous! We do love the tshirt is very original and the skirt is lovely too!
We´re followers number 700 :)
Regards from www.bpeinternational.blogspot.com
Xoxo
Post a Comment