Friday, September 17, 2010

The business of building a beehive












H&M Ruched Sleeve Top, H&M Double Layer Skirt, Zara Jacket,
Swarovski Butterfly Brooches, Mango Headband,
Marc Jacobs Buckle Strap Patent Shoes

With Fashion Weeks underway, we've all been watching the runway photos and videos (with some lucky one the actual runway) to spot the latest collections and trends. Usually, I'm all about the clothes, yet this time something else caught my eye. It was the hair styling, or more exactly, what I like to call "the classy beehive." Ever since I saw the first shot of the Karl Lagerfeld RTW F2010 I couldn't stop thinking about this Amy Winehouse reminiscent hairdo. And classy beehives  seemed to be everywhere from  the Fall 2010 Prada in Milan and Giles in Paris to Vera Wang's Spring 2011. I knew that I would not have peace of mind until I tried it.

I went for Karl's black wide headband look, and with some patience and a lot of hairspray I came up with an encouraging first time result. The methods used to achieve this are best left unsaid, trust me.  Suffice to say, it took just as long to put down as it did to put up. Still, always keep in mind to use quality hair products (e.g. I used Joico K-Pak medium hold) as you can always tell the difference, not only in the way your hair looks during, but most importantly after. And, for those of you interested, I did find a rather useful video tutorial brought to us by Ford Models.

Maybe it was just because of the headband, but I thought that a preppy outfit worked best with this hairdo. Just perfect to try out the H&M top and skirt I got in Amsterdam (isn't the Art Deco print on the skirt fab?) with the very comfortable black jacket. I topped the look off with a couple of Swarovski brooches (the more the merrier when it comes to jewelry, n'est pas?) and the high heel Mary Janes by Marc Jacobs that I found at a vintage store.


27 comments:

Denisa L said...

yes, the Ard Deco print is fab fab fab!
I do imagine the amount of time and patience went in that beehive but it looks great:)

Mina said...

holy shit the hair is just too cool! u know how long i have been waiting for this. i should have been in bed by now but your sneak preview made me wait impatiently till now. the skirt is also super cool. i cant believe i missed that at H&M. i remember seeing it but dont know why i never gave it a second look. stupid me! awesome look. one of your best defintly. i need to try the hairstyle ASAP! how many cans of hairspray did u use btw?

Arina said...

très jolie!

Veronica Sticlaru said...

You look absolutely fabulous! Love your hair and the print on your skirt it`s amazing

verde ursuz said...

oooh, I love this! the hairstyle's amazing and all the photos were such a delight! >:D<

mispapelicos said...

Love your hair, so 50 and 60s. And it goes beautifully with the layer skirt,patent leather shoes...Well the whole ensemble is great. I adore the butterflies on your lapel.

iliketweet said...

That beehive is amazing, jealous!

xx

Alice In Vintageland said...

This just wonderful - You made me smile, I sported this hairdo two years ago but it was a little bit tamed. Love the outfit: the skirt and the butterflies are beautiful!:)

Sere said...

love your skirt and your hair...great job as always...xoxo sere

The Hearabouts said...

I cant' imagine how you managed to recreate that hairdo, I'm sure I couldn't pull it off. Plus, I think that beehive sounds SO funny when referred to hair, don't you?

I really like the little butterflies and the print of your skirt.

S.

mispapelicos said...

I think you are wonderful, so i have you in my roll blog and following you.
Come back again sonn.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Tali @ RockMyHeels said...

The photos are so lovely, they have this girly retro wibe! Very inspiring. i really love the combination of prints and the butterflies!
And kudos for the new blog design)

Unknown said...

I think, what is key about building a beehive... is actually having the hair to begin with. It might sound a simply feat, but I could not even begin to think about building such a masterpiece with the wisps I have! Lovely patterned skirt btw, just stumbled upon your blog and I really like the softly-lit way you've editted your photos :) jazzy ♥

Anaivilo said...

OMG! You look astonishing! I love everything about this look, especially those brooches! :D

miss annie said...

wow, you are really pretty and your hairstyle is amazing! thanks so much for your sweet comment! do you have lookbook?

Anaivilo said...

Oh and thanks for the words :D I did well on my exam, mi-a dat 10 ;)

Tali @ RockMyHeels said...

thanks a lot for your help with the bag!))) The one you found is amazing! too bad it's so pricey, wow.. I'm looking intecily as well, gonna check the stores in as many cities here as possible:-D

Dress Code: High Fashion said...

Lovely retro outfit and FANTASTIC HAIR!!! It takes so much skill to create a hairstyle like that.

Deepest respect for your skill from somebody who gets nervous-breakdowns over hairstyling on a regular basis ;)

http://bohemenoir.blogspot.com/

PS: How about link-exchange?

lauren carney said...

ohhhh fancy,
i love your blog to pieces!
its just grand!

GRIT AND GLAMOUR said...

Amazing shots, as usual. And killer shoes, honey!

♥ V

http://www.gritandglamour.com

Anna said...

OMG I love how you did your hair!! and that skirt is awsome:*

Heather Fonseca said...

You look great! Thanks so much for the tutorial link - I'm going to try that.

Insomnia said...

I'm practically screaming in front of my computer!
You're too good to be true ^^
Unfortunately my hair is too long to pull this off on my own!

Doroshi said...

Love ur hairdo, is so classic, same love goes to ur skirt too :)

www.janetteria.com said...

Whole look is divine and definitely inspiring... :)

Liv said...

I have the same H&M skirt :), except I bought it in Nice (it was the only thing that I bought from H&M this summer...).

Sil said...

I love your outfits, they are really artistic and original and the details really say something and are amazing:D

Post a Comment