Lately I've been quite pro-active (except for house cleaning that is . . ups!) and after discovering a well stocked textile paint store near my house, I knew exactly what my next DIY would be. For I had a pair of lovely nude lycra tights from Pas Boutique which begged for some customization.
Let's take it from the top . .
And now let's take them in turns . .
- The tights, as I've said, I got from Pas Boutique as they are really well done and I do love their variety of colors. I've chosen lycra over cotton because of the way the fiber interacts with the paint. On cotton the paint has a tendency to spread out, so for the very fine details, the satin-y texture of lycra would be best suited.
- For the textile paint I went with Decor fin transparent black color from Talens. But if you have the time and patience you could try different colors for different sections for which there are so many possibilities. After you apply the paint be careful to let it dry properly. And, after it dries, iron the tights (with a piece of fabric between the tights and iron) to make the paint settle.
- I worked with a flat brush, as you don't need to put to much paint on the pattern, but only carefully wipe it over to cover the empty spaces.
- Speaking of, it's time to talk about the creative part of our DIY, what is the empty space that you are going to fill? I decided on some butterfly prints, (what can I say? I was in a romantic mood :) which I got from these beautiful antique insect prints, that are also on sale. Specifically, I worked with a couple from 1837, Jardine's Naturalist Library Butterfly, this & this. But if butterflies are not your thing, again, the possibilities are endless! Don't forget to use thicker printing paper and to print on black & white.
- To make the cutouts it's best that you use a cuter (be careful with it though!). And if you do go for the butterfly prints, cut out the white bits, leaving the black ones interconnected, as you can see bellow.
- Last, but certainly not least, you will need some cardboard which you will cut into the shape of the tights. This will be inserted in the leg of your tights during the painting proccess so as not to let the paint transfer to the other side.
Hope you have fun, don't forget to send me pictures, and I'm here for any questions!
look who actually dropped by during our photoshoot! :)
Pas Boutique nude Tights, Topshop Trench,
Gucci patent Pumps (which I borrowed from my mom and don't plan on returning ;)














30 comments:
God you are so talented...you do really surprise me with every post you make...AMAZING!!! i feel that I have a lot to learn from you Ioana!
xoxo sere
good job!
Great job!
Can you ,please, tell me the address of the textile paint store?
Thanks!
You have great ideas! I only have to find nude thights, because I just bought camel trench coat last Saturday)) I wonder if those amazing prints won't get destroyed in the washmachine?
PS hope your mom doesn't mind not getting the heels back)
Foarte ingenios, arata ca iesiti din magazin iar pozele ii pun in valoare si mai mult :) Superb
Great idea, and you've done a wonderful job! The butterflies look amazing.
those r incredible, I love the placement!!
WoW. This is great! I gave to try it asap! They look amazing and so do you wearing them!:)
Wow! This is so amazing, perfect DiY!
Well done!
xo Ra
ioana this is super cute. i really want to try it like everyone else except i dont have the patience and I know I will mess it up. i tried to do something like this once in first year in fashion school and it turned out to be a huge disaster not only for the clothes but also for the workspace which unfortunly for my mom was my bathroom in her house. she wasnt pleased thats all i can say!
that is amazing idea! OH WOW! wonderfully done!
What an inspiration...
I have been meaning to paint on material, but I think I will try this, and see what happens.
You are wonderful!!!!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Thanks for the words! I really love how these turned out, the print is so sweet! :D Good job!
Voi sta in Bucuresti pana in iulie (minus vacante de Craciun, Paste) deci se poate mai multe cafele! As fi incantata :D
That's sooo lovely and well-done! I imagine a whole collection of clothes with such nice print!
Wow, your tutorial is sooo good! Definitely fit for a magazine. Me, I can DIY, but I can't write decent tutorials if my life depended on it :)). Thank you for the great inspiration.
Oh, and not to mention the fact that I spent half a day drooling over those breathtaking antique prints on that site. They're just mesmerizing..I've always been fascinated with that kind of vintage botanical/zoological prints.
S.
this is such a great DIY project
Hihi, looks like we're in the same thought!
I'm thinking and re-re-thinking since July on printing some of my clothes and accessories with the MiuMiu pattern, since I'm still inlove with it.
I'm so guilty!
Totally cool! What a great DIY!
♥ V
http://www.gritandglamour.com
twitter: @gritandglamour
I'm here to invite you as already we are following each other to partecipate to my October Giveaway, I'm giving away God Same McQueen Shirt or other designs depending which one you consider to best fit your style. ENTER HERE
http://www.thedollsfactory.com/2010/10/fendi-giveaway-winner-and-invitation-to.html
wow, this is so fantastic! i should try it! i love, love (!) how the butterfly wings on each leg match to form a butterfly in one of the close-ups.
kisses!
p.s. following you :)
OMG! this is awsome! I have to try this, they look so great!
This looks very nice, they kind of remind me of McQueen...
I desperately need to spend more time on DIY projects. I'm the one who, pretty much, can make anything, but don't have the time too, and yes, is too lazy!
Haha, hope to see the heels soon :D
wow! thats amazing!!
Da..pantaloni rosii de piele.. am vazut o pereche la un magazin din orasul meu (erau faux leather cred, dar aratau bine). Insa din pacate nu mai aveau decat a really big size :-<. Asa ca mai asteptam :P.
S.
This is amazing! Lovely photographs and illustrations
Just amazing leggings and so creative!
Love the leggings! I can only imagine what something similar would cost in the store and probably at triple the price!
I love this. I just discovered your blog today and it's already become an addiction. These are incredible and I agree with courtney, can't even imagine what they would cost in a store like Anthropologie.
I am now a follower on google and would love for us to stay in touch if you would not mind.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Love from Toronto, Canada
Those tights are so adorable and innovative!
my resume
Post a Comment