Sunday, October 31, 2010

See how high she flies


Camilla and Marc vest with frindge wrap
Zara Silk Tshirt, Bershka Leather Pants
Lanvin Boots


Round about the couldron go:
In the poisones entrails throw.
Toad,that under cold stone
Days and nights has thirty-one
Sweated venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first in the charmed pot.
Double,double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.


Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the cauldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blindworm's sting,
Lizard's leg and howlet's wing.
For charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
Double,double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and couldron bubble.

Witches Chant from Macbeth, William Shakespeare

What most of us today call Halloween was called by the ancient Celts by another name: Samhain. It represented the Celtic New Year and it was believed that "the night preceding the New Year was a night wherein the borders of the living and the ghost world became very light."(source) As was the fate of most pagan festivals, Samhain too received a Christian makeover. "November 1 became All Saints Day, otherwise known as All Hallow’s Day. So with the help of Pope Boniface IV and the two  Popes Gregory, 3rd and 4th, "November 1 became All Saints Day, otherwise known as All Hallow’s Day. The night before became All Hallow’s Eve, “Halloween” being a colloquial contraction of that phrase." (source)

Regardless of that you choose to call it, the festivities held on the night of October 31 are marked by similar beliefs. At this time the harvest is over, so feasts, which include apples and pumpkins, are the norm. Orange is, of course, a trademark color, as it is a fall color, but also because it is representative of fire, energy (source & source) and illumination: "In the Christian religion the colours saffron and orange were the symbols of God embracing the heart and illuminating the souls of the faithful" ("Des Couleurs Symboliques," Paris, 1837, p. 240). Be it in the shape of a proper bonfire, or a small candle in a carved out pumpkin, the presence of fire is of utter importance. And, most of all, it is a time when the dead are honored, and it is on this night when the supernatural roam the earth . . 

"There is a world in which we dwell,
And yet a world invisible.
And do not think that naught can be
Save only what with eyes ye see:
I tell ye that, this very hour,
Had but your sight a spirit's power,
Ye would be looking, eye to eye,
At a terrific company."
COXE: Hallowe'en (Sacred Texts)

What better time than this for the women who worship nature, maybe more popularly know as witches, to assemble and to perform their rites and rituals? So witches of the world rejoice! Merry meet and merry part and merry meet again!

Hay-ho for Hallowe'en!
And the witches to be seen,
Some black, and some green,
Hay-ho for Hallwe'en!






98 comments:

Vertiginoso said...

WOow AND I must say that "Glam esoterism" declines itself on such an electrifying way with such sexy / dark leather pants Dear !!!

à Bientôt, Antoine

Arina said...

http://vimeo.com/3092734
:***

Denisa L said...

omg Ioana, you look amazing!!! looove these!!!

mispapelicos said...

That is what I called a complete and wonderful post.
Your photos are so inspiring and dreamy: the colour of your hair in the different lights, the black, the cards, the stones, the touch of nature...
I knew about the Samhain,turned by the church to the night of Hollows. Your pics and your writing the best halloween treat.
Un abrazo my friend
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Laura Tenshi said...

Wow, love the leather pants and the ankle boots. I hope you won't cast a spell on us from your book, we promise to treat you with candy.
Happy Halloween :)

Inge said...

Cismigiu?
Un post minunat! D abia astept sa ne vedem saptamana asta...care incepe maine...sa-mi mai povestesti una alta. Repet...post-ul a fost unul extrem de bun!!! That's what I like about you! And not only this!

Mina said...

oh wow ioana. i love this shoot. very nice! i just wore leathery leggings like an hour ago. i just came home and took them off. i will post the outfit next week probably. its so amazing how we dress similary even when we dont intend. i remember this vest. u wore it the second time i saw u and thats when i realized i love love the way u dress.
happy halloween!
btw what did u end up actualy being? do they celebrate halloween now in romania? i see all this talk about it on the blogs and wonder if its starting to gain popularity.
xoxo
mina

Black cat girl said...

Great pictures!! i adore this black outfit!

Special Koko said...

How I love this post! The outfit is HOT and the pics are amazing, so artistic & dramatic!

De Vero said...

Let the unnatural rule! Love the pictures, so dramatic!
And of corse the boots are amazing!

http://de-vero.blogspot.com

Alice in vintageland said...

Ioana, this is another amazing article and the photos are so beautiful. You look so mysterious and hot)))))). Love the leather pants with those breath tacking boots.

LOOK OF STYLE said...

Great post!!!!
I love the pics and the pants!

xx
lookofstyle.blogspot.com

Dial V for Vintage said...

Very dark and very glamourous outfit - I love it!

classiq said...

Great post! Lovely photos, I looove your outfit!

Sunshine Sarah said...

Love the outfit! ;)
Dar te rooog, spune-mi cu ce nuanta ti-ai vopsit parul...

Lots of love,
Sarah.

Tali @ RockMyHeels said...

Great photos as usual) do you understand in runes and Tarot? I used to study astrology, but never those two..

xx
Tali
http://ia-fetishistka.blogspot.com

The Hearabouts said...

Great job at creating a gloomy atmosphere ;)). Love the entire outfit (especially those amazing boots) and the entire feeling of this photoshoot, all the details (runes, Tarot cards, spell book...).

PS: I spent all day yesterday making/baking that pumpkin pie..it was painstaking, really. But it turned out delicious :D.

S.

Bonnie said...

You have gorgeous hair.
And that's an awesome outfit.
So jealous.

Thanks for your comment!
xoxo.

http://glamkittenslitterbox.blogspot.com/

Andreea said...

Amazing as always:) You created such a dark, mysterious atmosphere that i feel the urge to watch(once again:))) Harry Potter.For me,the harry potter series are the perfect witchcraft magical movies and your outfit and pictures look pretty much Knockturn alley:D
Love <3

Unknown said...

beautiful pics xxx

Sunshine Sarah said...

Mersi mult pentru raspuns! ;)

B a la Moda said...

Love that wrap! It looks amazing on you!

xoxo
B* a la Moda

Pearl Westwood said...

Love how you managed to get that cat at the end!

Ola said...

wow, I love your hair!

20 YORK STREET said...

Goodness God, you are GORGEOUS! Perhaps my top favourite post of yours!

besos,

Win a Yola Couture Designer Dress at:

20 YORK STREET

Unknown said...

Beautiful shots and look at the heel on those Lanvins!! ♥

Thanks for commenting - www.blahblahbecky.co.uk

www.janetteria.com said...

U look so fantastic!

Ƹ̵̡Óœ̵̨̄Æ·

SabinePsynopsis said...

Your Halloween's got it all. Amazing pictures, and you make one beautiful witch!

Tanvi said...

How spelling binding are these pictures. Spooky genius! Love your hair color. It is marvelous. All in all a great Halloween Post. P.S. Also LOVE those leather pants!

Closet Fashionista said...

LOVE your hair in these photos! And I love how educational this post was :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

PRETTY!

Josie said...

nice blog! thanks for your comment :)

Oglipe said...

aww great photos! i love your style and the scenery. it so beautiful and awesome! love this post a lot <3

xxyy said...

I absolutely adore your fringe poncho and leather pants.xx

Wall of Fashion said...

Wow, your site looks great! I love the drawings! And you look great to (I like red hair ;) ) and your photos are very pretty, almost magical! And thanks for leaving such a sweet message!

xx Marije

Shanna Maren said...

You look great, I love your hair and your outfit! And so does your blog, it's really pretty!!
And the place where you are looks pretty charming :)

Daisy said...

Amazing photographs! Your hair is just so nice! Love the color and the volume. Very great post, I enjoyed it. :)

♥lasenoritadaisy.blogspot.com

Violet E. said...

cuteeee <3

Paint it Black said...

Fabulous post so original for Halloween and you look stunning love your cape. Beautiful pictures xoxo

Nelah said...

Great shots - they are dark, mysterious and beautiful!! Your hair color is gorgeous, it really suits you.

GAZTE BAT said...

I love the pics!! Your hair is fantastic I love it :)
Your shoes are lovely I like them I´ll come oftener baby se you soon!!

charmingflopy.blogspot.com

Kenziefaith said...

I love your hair!!

KF x

Marella said...

Wow! Amazing look and pics!

Jude said...

I loved reading more about the Halloween holiday and your photographs are gorgeous! Thanks so much for dropping by - I love meeting new bloggers and so happy it led me to your beautiful blog!

Ashe Mischief said...

You look super amazing-- your hair is so electrifying! The brief history of Halloween & Samhain is always a lovely treat too... great to see fab fashion & smarts combined!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate it how much you know about halloween! Nice job! Plus I like the colour of your hair :) I'm your newest follower! XOXO
Lidia
www.thegirlbehindthefashionmask.blogspot.com

Carla said...

is possible that what you say is true!
great photos, love your hair!

x

www.bangeli.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting, if not I couldn't have the possibility to see the amazing blog you have. I love the layout, but even more the content. The photos are so great and I like the Macbeth quotation :) Following you.

VALENTINA ROMANO said...

Hi,
thank for your comment on Le Roi Coquette.

I really like your blog, it's really original and your approach to fashion is pure, intimate and dreamy.

Compliments.

I suppose that maybe you can like this article about Alexander McQuenn.

http://leroicoquette.blogspot.com/2010/10/ci-sono-casi-in-cui-il-talento-e-il-piu.html

Let me know what you think about it.

Unknown said...

Oh my god! I'll start to follow you right now! Your blog and your shoots are incredible, so awesome! And you are very gorgeous :)
Thanks for your comment!

http://vicissitudinilombarde.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Great outfit, so well thought
<3
Thanks for commenting on my blog, now following
http://reserveradefashion.blogspot.com

Diana said...

your hair is so incredibly gorgeous! stunning pictures too - very well done :) great blog!!

visit/follow me

http://dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/

oomph. said...

great shoes here, and your hair color looks amazing in these photos.

www.rockoomph.blogspot.com

Pamela said...

Wow. Great photos! I love the cape!

Call Me Ishmael

Julia said...

WOW. You are absolutely gorgeous!
Love this combination, the textures especially.
I didn't know that about Halloween, thanks for sharing.
Thank you for your comment, just became a follower xo

BenchesnChandeliers said...

love the winged effect!

http://www.benchesandchandeliers.com

VertAnge said...

I hope you are doing some good spells :)
PS: Cred ca in cultura populara romaneasca echivalentul este reprezentat de Noaptea de Sfantul Andrei. Din pacate traditia s-a pierdut.:(

Green Tea and Cupcakes said...

Wow Wow Wow what beautiful photos you look gorgeous.

Fashion Limbo said...

A stunning post, well done. And i want your hair :)

Courtney Erin said...

Amazing post!!!!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Paulie Antiques said...

wow! love your hair color! I am a new follower! :) thanks for the lovely comment :) hope we can be friends

Gertrude said...

Thanks for your comment :)

Love your pictures ... especially the one with the runes :)

xx

g-bowsandpearls.blogspot.com

SucceedingatFailing said...

Ah I had to study about how the Christians took took over Celtic festivities at uni last year! Really interesting! Love your hair colour by the way! Really vibrant!

http://succeedingatfailing.blogspot.com/

Alisha said...

Thanks for the comment:) I have to say that i love your hair, and boots in this post. Follow for follow? I'm following you x

http://fascinationforfashion-akm.blogspot.com/

CaliforniaCandy said...

What a beautiful blog! You are truely gorgeous and I love your red hair!

Thanks for the sweet comment, kisses!

http://californiacandy.wordpress.com/

Erica said...

These photos are absolutely stunning! Your pants are fabulous!

Baby Budget Blog said...

These are absolutely beautiful shots! Very striking! Thanks for commenting on my blog! Am following you now. Would love it if you'd come back and follow me!!

www.plentyforpennies.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photos! They look amazing!
I love your blog's design, by the way :)

xoxo
http://miss-susann.blogspot.com/

Isabel said...

these photos are stunning!

Gorgeous Clara said...

beautiful pics! gorgeous cape!

Jessica said...

Beautiful pictures!

Luna Tiger said...

Oh ! these pictures are so beautiful ! full of mystery and tragedy. You brought witches anciant spirit to life !
http://selenite.weebly.com/

Flashes of Style said...

Beautiful post! <3

Ashley/ MILK TEETHS said...

So awesome and very fitting for halloween! Also, you totally look like Tori Amos which is a major compliment (she is such a babe!) :)

xx
MILK TEETHS

Jamie-Lee Burns said...

I have to point out two things, a) how gorgeous your hair is, and b) how in love with that c&m shawl i am.. can you give it to me when you're bored with it? :P

http://pagesixxx.blogspot.com

Collette Osuna said...

Wow.........do you look absolutely stunning or what??

Thanks for stopping by my blog..love yours too!!!

Stop By and Say Hello♥
Statements in Fashion Blog♥

Miss K said...

great pictures! love your blog :)

http://carlandtheprepster.blogspot.com/

Stefani said...

Great pictures!!Your hair is AMAZING!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful hair color! Love this halloween inspired look and post!

xx
K

Sarah said...

Great post - it's so comprehensive. And your photos are nice and ethereal, which is always good. Food for the eyes AND the mind!

Anonymous said...

I like your blog! Check out mine, and if you like it too, we could follow eachother!
Lidia
www.thegirlbehindthefashionmask.blogspot.com

Irina said...

thank you for lovely comment! love your style and your blog, lets follow each other? love this look of yours! your red hair are amazing!!!

Celine said...

Love that wrap and your hair is beautiful!
www.thewardrobediaries.com

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohh that is such an amazing post! Love your outfit and adore your hair so much
Kisses my dear

wobblinbetty said...

love your hair, they're burning! ahaha! and the outfit is just perfect!
xxx

Renee said...

I really like the color of your hair.

Mila said...

Gosh,this is brilliant!!!! <3

Amber said...

This is just fabulous - the perfect outfit for a stylish Halloween! I'm absolutely loving those leather panst - I tried on a pair a few weeks ago and decided not to buy them, but you're really making me wish I had!

FEDERICA said...

Just found your blog, and I'm glad I did!
Greetings from Italy,
Federica.

Material Attention said...

thanks for your post. i love the layout of your blog, it's cute!

I'm following you now, so please follow me if you liked my blog. xx

www.materialattention.blogspot.com

Fashion Cappuccino said...

You have such a beautiful blog! I love the design so much! And your personal style is so inspiring! xoxoxoxoo

bravegrrl said...

love the cape!!!!

Mileide Almeida said...

Amaziiiiiiiiiiiiiing blog and pictures!!
love love...thanks for comment my blog!

XOXO

Cassiopeia said...

What a lovely post. The picture set is original and beautiful. Your hair looks particularly amazing. And the poetry just brings it all together. <3 Xxxc

out of order said...

such a cute post, I LOVE your illustrated outfit photos!!

Insomnia said...

I think I'm able to look at these pictures all day, you really outdone yourself here!
No words can describe your beauty <3

Veshoevius said...

Great post and love the pics. Fabulous outfit! That fringed cape is beautiful and love it paired with the leather leggings and boots! And your red hair is so striking against the black. Quite the modern day enchantress!

Plami said...

You look gorgeous! love your hair and the contrast with the black clothes! very interesting post! thanks for sharing :)

XoXo
Fiamma

http://fashion-thrill.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment