"Feel like a woman. Wear a dress." said Diane Von Furstenberg in 1972.
Nowadays we can dress in a feminine manner without having to deal with some of the negative stereotypes that have been associated with the female gender in the past. Yet, a substantial number of protests for the feminist movement were held and numerous feminist manifestos written until women could start feeling secure about their position in society in order to express their femininity freely. “The struggle to gain control of all aspects of our lives—our bodies, our jobs, our social roles, and our creativity—is the struggle of every woman” (source) is what women's rights activists would assert.
The Women's Liberation Movement might be associated with the 60s, still the term "women's liberation" was first used in 1953 in the book "The Second Sex" (source) by French feminist writer Simone De Beauvoir. With so many years in the making and such an important mission at hand how could this not have been utterly influential on fashion's history.
The first human birth control pill was created in 1950 by Margaret Sanger, a "lifelong advocate of women's rights and the use of birth control" (source) only to be made publicly available in the early 1960s. The miniskirt (or at least a shorter version of Courrèges 1964 designs) is said to have been created in 1965 by Mary Quant, who "was a self-made businesswoman." (source) She "found London girls seeking newness only too willing to try her new daring short mini skirt" (source) which would end up becoming a 60s fashion staple.
Actually, it is interesting to notice that the major feminist movements are directly linked to none other than the lenght of hemlines. The suffragette movement, or the first wave of feminism, coresponds with the first major rise in hemlines in the 20s when "the so-called flapper girls scandalised first America and then Europe with their energetic dances, androgynous look and skirts raised to almost the knee." (source)
Some might argue that the miniskirt, along with other items that reveal and accentuate the female form, is actually more oppressing rather than liberating as it can create an image of women as "sex objects, toys for men." However, I do believe that women should be proud of their bodies, whatever shape, form, or color they might have, and be able to display it in whatever fashion they choose.
You're a woman. Celebrate it!
Actually, it is interesting to notice that the major feminist movements are directly linked to none other than the lenght of hemlines. The suffragette movement, or the first wave of feminism, coresponds with the first major rise in hemlines in the 20s when "the so-called flapper girls scandalised first America and then Europe with their energetic dances, androgynous look and skirts raised to almost the knee." (source)
Some might argue that the miniskirt, along with other items that reveal and accentuate the female form, is actually more oppressing rather than liberating as it can create an image of women as "sex objects, toys for men." However, I do believe that women should be proud of their bodies, whatever shape, form, or color they might have, and be able to display it in whatever fashion they choose.
You're a woman. Celebrate it!
Location: British Gallery
Aaand . .
As I had an entire team who contributed in making these photos possible I taught that it's only fair to show you some 'behind the scenes' shots. I'll be back with more soon!
Lots of kisses!














49 comments:
Beautiful dress! i love this pictures!
hi hi look that's me :P merci pentru pozele de inside Ioana :) and see that's why you've won it cause she knew what beautiful thought you had about it :)bisous
Great advice! I have recently read a book about Katharine Hepburn, "Kate, The Woman That Was Katharine Hepburn", an intersting approach not only on her movies abut also on her private life; her mother, Kit, was an early birth control activist (in the 20s, among the first advocates of birth control pills).
Ada
wow that dress is stunning! it flatters you.. :)
You lucky girl having a whole team of people emphasizing your natural beauty and style. Love the dress and each one of the pics.
Your words a very wise, too.
I left your photo and a hug for you in my post today.
Un abrazo my beautiful friend.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Tell us more about the doggie :)
Oh, I love this dress, I think it's my favorite from the photo shoot, It looks perfect on you. I love dresses, they make me feel good, I could wear them forever!
Wow you are really gorgeous! Those photos are amazing , i love them! Cool set, i follow you ;)
xoxo
Marco.
http://vicissitudinilombarde.blogspot.com/
Another beautiful shoot! You look fabulous, dear! I love it!
If I'm not wrong, Simone de Beauvoir is the one that said "One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman." You are definitely a beautiful and feminine woman.
Love your setting! That old chair is amazing! Love the dress too!!
www.plentyforpennies.blogspot.com
"I do believe that women should be proud of their bodies, whatever shape, form, or color, these might have, and be able to display it in whatever fashion they choose."
I agree! :D
u look great:*
Stunning dress, darling I!
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
That is a very beautiful dress, I especially love the colors! :D
Your dress is great!
Yes, I support celebrating who you are... if you want to wear a gorgeous dress, like yours, or a leather mini, go for it!
There was a time when I didn't wear dresses..but I was a teenager then. Now, I simply love dresses!
The pictures look great!
thank you so much for your lovely comment <3
Lovely photos. I was part of the second wave feminist movement that de-emphasized appearance in favor of true skills and abilities. It is fascinating to watch how third wave feminism can return to this celebration of femininity.
Wow! I love that dress too and the hair! Everything is just gorgeous - even that dog! Wanttt!! :)
U r so adorable! so unique looking =)
i'm amazed by your pretty face =) Like ceramic dolls have - donno how u call them =)
and very cute pics =)
so pretty! wow.
Ioana,te admir demult,esti un icon style,deosebita nu pot sa zic,esti UNICA!totul la tine just amazing,fabulous,beautyful!!!
blame it on the dress:)
now they make them too short:))
yes, I'm aware of that they aren't, if he didn't change my sweater I would have really make a "scene"...but I'm usually calm in this kind of situations, I was actually laughing. he really acted like a kindergarden teacher!
oooooh i've a little king cavalier too!!! love it!!!
it is in the last one photo in this post
http://thefashionablehorsewoman.blogspot.com/2010/11/white-and-gray-dress-and-bat-ring.html
u are so beauty and the outfit is so cute!!!
I saw these pictures a couple of days ago on Lachatterie website and I was blown away by the styling, concept of the shooting. You look stunning and the print of your dress compliments your hair.
About the feminist movement, my role model is actually Susan B. Anthony. It's true she wasn't concerned with what women wore back in the day, she was more concerned in granting them suffrage, but they all fought for the same cause. We all have to thank these wonderful women because they paved the way for us. Now, if magazines would only stop using Photoshop on models and celebrities... Women these days think they have to be flawless in order to feel beautiful.
Beautiful dress! thanks for your comment!!
www.redischic.blogspot.com
Gorgeous photos (and amazing dress)!
xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com
thanks for leaving a comment on my blog!!!
would love to have u as my follower!!!
KISSES julia
NYC
http://geeksndfashion.blogspot.com/
Adorable !
Ok I am totally hooked on your blog...your posts are really interesting..and I just became a Follower...btw Thanks for the comment on my blog and hope you will follow me back ;)
http://fiercepty.blogspot.com/
The Black Label
Andy
Wow ~ you are gorgeous, as are these photos!
Looooove your dress!
xoxox,
CC
you look so classy! xox
http://fascinationforfashion-akm.blogspot.com/
wow u r so beuatiful! i love ur hair, skin, dress, everything! ^^ I'm a follower! plz check my blog out ^^
xoxo HitomiNeko xoxo
Vote for me to make my dream come true! Thx a million!
You look so gorgeous! What a great set of photos to have and what a lucky girl!
xoxo
WOW amazing pictures...
They look like a pro spread! you can place any one of those in any billboard, place a brand and that´s it an ad campaign for a brand new label.
Your blog design its amazing, love the menu with all those drawings!!!
Folllowing you of course.
THELOVELYSANDOTBLOGSPOTDOTCOM
hope you follow back!
Just lovely! And I really liked the article too. Sometimes I feel uncomfortable with certain eras of vintage clothing, due to what they meant for real life women at the time. I'm not sure I consider the miniskirt liberating (though I do like it on me) but nonetheless I enjoyed this fashion and feminist history!
With your hair color and the soft waves and the pretty dress, you remind me very much of Miranda Otto in these pictures, and I think she is so beautiful so that is a big compliment. :)
You should wear purple every day. It looks amazing on you with your pale skin and red hair.
Love,
Heather
http://heatherfonseca.com/
http://heathersdesignblog.com/
You look stunning in that dress!!!
That's such a great history you wrote. It's really interesting to see and learn about all the women movements and the impact they've had.
You look stunning here. I love the dress you're wearing. And the shoes are gorgeous.
I love your dress!! its gorgeous and you look absolutely stunning!! i love your blog!!
im going to follow you. I hope you can check out my blog and follow it if you like it ^-^
katslovefashion.blogspot.com
very well done with the photo shoot :) beautiful dress!
BLk
xoxo
love these! your hair is amazing.
if you like vintage clothing please come check us out!
www.avintagelovestory.com
we would be honored. xx
pretty pretty hair!
x,
Glocal Girl
great pics....
simply stunning! style, photography, idea-everything! I`m definitely following you now, hope you might follow me back:)
www.elekonchicboutique.com
Amazing photos!!!
♥
Pearl
I also <3 your dress :)
Post a Comment