Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Vodka and Caviar


Vodka and Caviar is the name of my latest purchase from OPI, which is oddly enough neither the silver/white of vodka, nor the blueish black of caviar, but an indulgent shade of dark red. Regardless, it was the image of black, white, and a little bit of silver that complement such a strong red that I couldn't forget. And more so, the image of luxury that one could associate with vodka&caviar.

So it is in this frame of mind that I recall an article that I wrote not so long ago: Luxury goods an investment in the future.

~

A limited edition fragrance, time, a gold watch with diamonds, a hug from a loved one, an exotic bag, a smile, an American Express Centurion credit card, a bubble bath, a weekend at the Plaza Athenee Paris, or the designer dress of the moment. All of these may be, at some point, the definition of luxury. Some have defined luxury as "functional art applied to things" (Jean-Noel Kapferer), others consider it to be the "hand's impact" on quality (Stanley Marcus), while others see luxury as a "necessity that begins where necessity ends." (Coco Chanel)

Personally, I believe that luxury is the story behind the product, namely all those affective and emotional qualities that we attribute to the product, and that surpass its rational and practical qualities, such as functionality, quality, origin, manufacturing. However, regardless of which definition you prefer, the desirability of luxury items is indisputable because of the quality, rarity, exclusivity, and experience that they can provide. Moreover, regardless of current economic climate, luxury objects possess a quality that makes them even more undisputed desirability: the value of most of these products is not lost in time, and in many cases it increases considerably, making luxury items more than a whim, but more of a smart investment.

An investment in your image, that is certain, but how could a fad turn into a financial investment? Very simply, as I said above, through the value it holds. And when I mention "value" I do not mean money, but also to forecasted performance and longevity. The only case in which the purchase of a product would not provide a good investment is the one in which luxury would be considered, erroneously, synonymous only with a high price. A high price is not a certitude unless it is accompanied, and supported, by excellent quality, both aesthetic and manufacturing quality. Of course, even in the latter case, the purchase of a luxury product does not ensure a safe investment because the quality, rarity, and authenticity of the producer (origin, tradition, integrity) enter into the mix that creates the perfect luxury product as investment.

And if we set our sights on a luxury items from the Fashion and Accessories section, once all the above mentioned factors have been taken into account and the value has been estimated, the only question remaining is: contemporary or vintage?

 ~

Continue reading the pros and cons of vintage vs contemporary luxury products as a good investment (in Romanian only though..) here, or just tell me: would you buy a product for its future value? And if so, would it be contemporary, or vintage?

Thank you for taking the time to read, and answer this, I'm really looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Photo via One Man's Case

Zara Bubble Dress  /  N.Peal Cashmere Cardigan

Vanessa Bruno Belt  /  Generic Doughnut Necklace

Mulberry Bag  /  Wolford Tights  /  H&M Shoes


Love.

40 comments:

SHOP STYLE CONQUER said...

wow you look gorgeous! your hair is amazing and these photos are beautiful!!!!! and your outfit... omg its awesome! the shoes the dress, everything! love it!

x


shopstyleconquer.blogspot.com
shopstyleconquer.blogspot.com
shopstyleconquer.blogspot.com

CAT WRANGLER said...

i love your shoes ;)

The Fancy Teacup said...

I own the nail lacquer Vodka & Caviar, too! And I wanted that same Zara dress, but they sold out in my size. Adore it on you. x

www.TheFancyTeacup.com

Juli Photo Diary said...

absolutely pretty!
Love the stylish!!!!

www.juliphotodiary.com

Gosia said...

This dress is amazing!

Teodora said...

The dress and shoes are fabulous. I am not sure about the name of the OPI nail color but it is sure catchy as the color itself.

Teodora
teodoraslookbook.com

Shannon said...

I love your posts, outfits, and hair color!

http://shannonsometimes.blogspot.com/

Jamie Rose said...

Such a great dress and awesome shoes!

Anonymous said...

Great look and amazing dress:)

Alina said...

You look fabulous,as always!Love this dress on you!

Anupriya DG said...

Those shoes are so chic! <3

Fashionista said...

fabulous look!

Veronica Sticlaru said...

I would buy a prducut for it`s future value because nowadays with all these crises and the insecurity of the financial market I think it`s best to invest in items. Luxury products could be one of them. I am not that well "educated" to choose between a contemporary one or a vintage item. I think both could be considered an investment if you cam predict that their value will increase. Maybe the contemporary it`s cheaper than the vintage one and in future the value added will be bigger. Now I`m thinking like an economist :)) I really liked your article and your shoes :)

Plami said...

You look stunning as always! The shoes are to die for!

XoXo
Plami

http://www.fashionthrill.com/

Superblondeep said...

so cute...as always! hehe xoxo

Unknown said...

those shoes <3 i just love em!

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Unknown said...

Love the bag/dress/hair/shoes, amazing look!

http://www.localcelebz.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love how the dress looks on you ;)

http://ladytrendy.blogspot.com

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I adore this outfit!<3 the shoes are amazing!<3<3

Kaye Sigua said...

I super love your outfit! It suits you.

http://a-okaye.blogspot.com

my thrifty closet said...

stunning outfit! You look gorgeous, I love the color and textures. Your shoes are beautiful! I think I would rather invest in vintage luxury products.

mongs
mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

Cristina said...

I must say, this is an unexpected post title, yet perfect for the whole thing! I found your article very well written and catchy, loved it! And, about the topic, I would also invest in luxury goods with a potentially high future value, because I do not believe in high price as the main characteristic of luxury, but rather in quality, longevity and aesthetic potential (just as you put it).
PS. I love your outfit!

Cheers;)
http://www.5inchmemories.com/

stilistele said...

vintage or designer, who cares, as long as the product makes you feel the unexpected..
love those shoes. the whole outfit is gorgeous!

Anda Zelenca said...

This is my new favorite outfit, Lili!:X

Miss Psycho Cat said...

Such a cute shoes :)

Inge said...

There's a vodka which has chilli in it - gives it a special spicy taste - maybe that's why the colour was named like that.
As for luxury items, you know I consider them an investment. Contemporary luxury items are more difficult to appreciate the value of - especially of new luxury brands. For me luxury lies in tradition and craftsmanship and some items which maybe would be a good investment - both contemporary and vintage - are watches.
Looks like Paris is treating you well!
Hope to see you soon!

Antonia-Ivana said...

I totally love this look, it's perfect and fits you so well.

www.antoniaivana.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

happy to follow you back! gorgeous blog, great style! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for visiting and i'm happy that i've discovered your blog this way! i took a quick peek and i'm pretty impressed. beautiful images and you've got such an unique eye for fashion. you've got a new follower and i can't wait to see more adventures from paris!

warm greetins from florida!

leyla.

Teddi said...

your outfit is sensational! no, i don't think i would buy something for it's future value. then again, value is a subjective thing, isn't it? what i personally value, isn't the same, as what someone else values. who decides what value is?

Macherie said...

Thank you for dropping by my blog.

Can I just say your hair color is fab, I have tried my hardest to become a red head unfortunately hair dyes of this brilliance easily fades and the upkeep is too tedious. You are rocking my dream..

Miss Macherie

Kasia said...

Such a great dress! I love it. Your shoes are also really cute :)
Thanks for visiting my blog and following! I am following back :)

Anonymous said...

Off topic: Foarte interesant articolul de fashion blogging care a aparut azi, mi-a placut sa-l citesc!

Haus of Style said...

What a beautiful dres. I love how you cinched it with the belt. Your booties are so cute!

Unknown said...

Love the shoes and dress

See U

AurėjaFėja said...

Beautiful like always. Love these shoes!!! :))

Stope by times,
http://aurejafeja-perpetuo.blogspot.com/

STYLE MARMALADE said...

Beautiful! you always look like lady!x

mispapelicos said...

You are pure poetry, dear Ioana
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

AzaharaJStyle (lost in Palma) said...

so wonderful dress
kisses
AJS

One Man's Case said...

Post a Comment