Sunday, October 24, 2010

What goes around


Leather Jacket by Madonna, American Apparel Top

Tifanny & Co Heart Necklace, Kauteli Wool Hat

Mango Cross Neclace/Bag accessory

Rag & Bone Skirt, Wolford Polka-dot Tights

Marc by Marc Jacobs Bag, Benvenuti OTK Boots

. . . comes around. "No matter how far you run, you can never truly escape. Everything catches up to you in the end. And when it does, it usually kicks your ass." Gossip Girl's narrator said. Naively enough, I have a tendency to usually agree with her. Yet this time, I would say that what goes around, comes around to wrap you in warm hug of velvet and chiffon. At least when it comes to fashion.

In shades of peach, plum and burgundy, Marc Jacobs brings an homage to seventies fashion in his very consistent and incredibly beautiful Spring 2011 collection. And he is most certainly not the only one. Because we can spot a 70s flair at Derek Lam, Sonia Rykiel, and Rodarte too. The street are full of seventies looks, as Tommy Ton's gorgeous snapshots illustrate. And the iconic seventies brand, Halston, is making a sexy comeback. If it's an fashion era that's here to stay for Spring, that is most definitely the 70s.

As it is, fashion always has a tendency to come around. As curator Olivier Saillard tells Style.com "Yves Saint Laurent’s 1971 collection was the first time the forties had been revived in fashion, although Karl Lagerfeld at ChloĆ© was doing collections inspired by thirties Art Deco." (source) What is more, "This show went on to inspire Jean Paul Gaultier, who turned the forties into eighties style, and [later] Maison Martin Margiela, who evoked the forties in the nineties." (source)

I was overjoyed when last weekend I spotted, and as you can see, bought, a pair of over the knee boots that I actually like on me, and which really are very 70s. So with Farrah Fawcet inspired hair, I also add a bit of 80s flavour, with a short leather jacket and a cross embellishment on the bag. And I finally got a chance to wear my short Rag & Bone knife print silk skirt. Who thought a "knife print" could be so damn cute??


All this era revival talk made me think . . what fashion era would you most enjoy seeing on the street? And just as important, what fashion trends do you think should be buried and forgotten? Looking forward to hearing all you thoughts!

48 comments:

Sere said...

how cute:X..I love this outfit of yours..I've been missing your outfit posts...I don't even have words to describe the boots..they are stunning:X:X...I would buy a pair but probably I won't be able to walk in those heels..anyway nice outfit for fall:X

xoxo sere

mispapelicos said...

You look absolutely wonderful in that clash of black textures.
My favourite fashion eras are the 40s for being so flatering for the female figure and the 80s for their freedom and barroquism.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The Hearabouts said...

Wow, nu te-am mai vazut in ipostaza rock chic(k). I DO love it. What could be cooler than a knife print skirt, really ;))

I'd like to see more 50's inspired looks (keywords: pin-up girls, rockabilly, full skirts, the hourglass figure, sophistication). On the other hand, I'm not really a great fan of (early) 90's fashion, in spite of the fact that I've noticed a comeback lately.

♥S.

NƔdia said...

Adore your OTK boots! Love the beret! <3

http://myfashioninsider.blogspot.com/

www.janetteria.com said...

Lovely look, darling!

Ęø̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ę·

Veshoevius said...

Fabulous boots! Love the shape of the heel - very sleek and sophisticated.
Like the biker jacket too - Madonna? I heard she was doing a line and it got panned but this looks very cool - might check it out.

Anaivilo said...

Wow you really look different here from what I've seen before. But it looks great! I love when someone tries different styles, sticking with one is just boring for me.
What I love this Fall are the 50s but I am a huge fan of the '20s or '30s. Those large silhouettes and freedom, jazz and those hairstyles! Galliano usually takes this era to the podium but I don't think I've ever seen it on the street... Too bad.
I am not much fan of the 70s but maybe I'll give it a go in the Spring..see how I feel.
I think baby-doll tops or dresses should just... stop existing -for now at least, fashion always comes around. I am sick of them. Too girlie in a naive way

Andreea said...

What a change! Nice to see you as a rocker girl, me likes it:D And i especially love the boots(been looking for something like that for ages but i can't seem to find the right pair of suede otk boots) Anyway, my favourite era is the 70's.I'm in love with the hippie vibe and i'm so glad it's making a comeback!

Stefani said...

You look amazing!!Love those boots!!

Matthew Spade said...

i'm gunning for a 20s revival, but properly. i guess when we hit 2020 there's going to be a major surge in it, which will phase into everywhere and so on for each decade. it has to happen, it makes sense! i cannot wait

Isa said...

I truly adore your hair!

Heather Fonseca said...

The only fashion trend I can think of that I hope never comes back are those polyester tab pants that everyone in my family wore back in the day. You know, the ones with the permanent crease down the front of each leg. They were usually in some flattering color like mustard. Other than that I'm pretty open to fashion revisions.

I'm still on the fence about the above the knee boots, but I like the way you're wearing yours with a cute short flirty skirt.

Candice said...

You are so cute!! I love your hair, and those tights with the polka dots are adorable! This location is beautiful too! I love the photos! :)

Denisa L said...

If I wouldn't read that the skirt has a knife print, I wouldn't have noticed...my eyes are on the bag:)
I think this is one of my fav looks of yours, plus your hair looks great styled this way:)

Denisa L said...

aww, and regarding the question, I think the 50's:)
let's praise Marc Jacobs for that;)

Alice in vintageland said...

This outfit it's awesome, you look really, really good and I love the boots and the bag. When it comes to favorite fashion period I'd say the 50's and also the 70's. I'm pretty much open to anything so I couldn't mention one thing I would never want to come back around!:)

Anna said...

You rock those over the knee boots! Love your outfit!
I`m in love with the`20s, but I don`t think I would like seeing it`s influence on the streets, so I`ll stick with the `50s and a bit of the `70s, and I hate the whole `80s look, grunge and big clothes:)

VertAnge said...

I would be curious to see everybody dressed the same way for one or two days. Maybe we'll pay more attention to other things that make us special, not only our clothes.
What fashion trends I think should be forgotten?
I would forbid white shoes (only brides and cute little kids will be allowed to wear them ). :)
But I think that our personal style should always be more important that fashion...So if somebody likes white shoes, why not wear them?
PS:You look so cute with that hat!

Vix said...

Love your boots and cute beret.
For me it's always the 1970's, freedom to wear skirts of any length and ditching the restrictive brassieres and panty girdles. x

Anca Buzea said...

I'm loving this look!!! Amazing boots, sexy tights, cute skirt, to-die-for jacket!! :X:X

De Vero said...

Nice outfit, your rock those boots!
The 20's and 30's were really good eras, think Lanvin and Chanel. Amazing!
We should definitely forget the neon colors!!

MARTA said...

Great outfit...lovely leather jacket :D

Margot said...

I love this look! The tights, the hat, the boots, everything. You look lovely and the boots suit you :) Glad you found a pair you liked.

xx
Margot

classiq said...

Lovely look! My favourite fashion eras would be the 50s (for the feminine cuts and lines)and the 80s (for its undeniable freedom of expressing your individuality)

Missariadne said...

Pretty!
Lovely style!

Laura Tenshi said...

You look so pretty with a beanie and wavy hair or Farrah Fawcet hair as you named it. I should find some black thigh high boots too, I love your pair, fabulous.
Oh, if you ask me I would bring back the 80's. I love everything that's from the 80's, music, TV shows and of course fashion. Colorful and wild prints, high top sneakers, crazy hairdos, what's not to like?

Black cat girl said...

I loove black outfits!

xoxo

Sharon said...

Hi my dear-adore this outfit, I really love your skirt, OTK boots and leather jacket-a fabulous ensemble! xx

ashley mcconnell said...

Not only do you have beautiful taste in clothes, amazing hair but you write beautifully!

xx
a

daretounravel.blogspot.com

celita said...

really cute style,love those boots , you look so beautiful!!

Luna Tiger said...

This outfit is very elegant ! Personnaly I like poetic, romantic and creative street style. I don't like when all the people look like each other because thy wear the same clothes. (sorry for my bad english...)
http://selenite.weebly.com/

Robyn said...

Bring on the drop waisted 20s looks. I adore your subtle print mixing, and use of texture here. Great look.

colorsdiary said...

very very good outfit post, love it!

i'm in for the '60 &'70.

denise.

Louisa said...

Thanks for your comment!
Awesome pictures! (:

UNA CENICIENTA MODERNA said...

LOVE YOUR BOOTS AND TIGHTS!!!Xxxx

20 YORK STREET said...

You know what I've been so so wanting to have this fall hun? A leather jacket, so cool just like yours! Love how you rock this edgy vibe!

40's and 50's please!

besos,

Win a Yola Couture Designer Dress at:

20 YORK STREET

Violet E. said...

absolutely love this :)

Isabel said...

you look so good in the photos

Tiaz said...

lovely outfit. you look comfortable too. :D

Grumpy old man said...

Just love your outfit, you look stunning! I think the boots and tights combo is a winner. The Jacket adds a nice finishing touch.

Hope your week is treating you well.

Colin.

Mode Junkie said...

i love your over the knee boots! ;)
i have always been a fan of the 90s. ;) and i think crocs should be buried deep deep underneath the earth. i don´t care how comfy they are. that doesn´t make up for their ugliness.

xoxo Mode Junkie

Mandy said...

so lovely ! Great post ! :D

Anonymous said...

Amazing outfit!

Great blog!!!

Anonymous said...

You look very cute. You're hair is amazing!!! Plus, that beanie is very nice!

em.me.ma said...

LOVVE your hat, boots, skirt, EVERYTHIN!

beautiful outfit. its something that would stop me on the road !

Unknown said...

Great outfit, great hair colour, great polka dot tights....I can see you really do like boots, just like you said when you commented on my blog, www.blahblahbecky.co.uk! ^_^

Marella said...

Thank you for your lovely comment! Nice blog! New follower! I hope you'll follow me back! Kiss

Anonymous said...

LOVE your hair color! Looking lovely!

xx
K

Post a Comment